Sunday, December 16, 2007














Here is an Altered Wood Frame using ribbons, an animal shape and buttons I did for the latest DT Challenge with SavvynSassy I needed to create something (altered project or layout) and post a "How to" on my blog. So here goes!
First you will need to gather your supplies. Start with an 8 x 10 wood frame. If it is already the color you want, you are good to go, otherwise, you will need to paint it your choice of colors. You will need 12" large 1" wide ric rak, 2 different yards of 1/2" wide ribbon and 1 yard of thin mini ric rak. I used huge chestnut ric rak, mini chestnut ric rak, chocolate brown stripe grosgrain from the ZZ February #2 kit, 1 yard All Boy ribbon (source unknown-gift), one prepainted/precut wood animal shape from Michael's, heavy cardstock lettering and various buttons or other embellishments.
I used Paperbilities Shadow letter duos (purchased from Walmart) because the color was what I wanted but any heavy type cardstock or chipboard will work even if you cut it yourself.

The first thing to do is apply the ribbon to the frame. I prefer to use the Xyron 150 to get a good even coat of adhesive. This is especially important for the very thin ribbon like the mini ric rak. You can insert the mini ribbon and the 2 other ribbons at once.



It is easiest to pull the ribbon off the xyron one ribbon at a time and apply as you go. When you come to the corner make a crease for the turn. Apply extra adhesive to make the fold lay down. Start at the bottom left hand side. Repeat with the other ribbon. Then add the mini ric rak to the outside edge, starting at the right bottom corner. You will now add the huge ric rak across the bottom trimming the other ribbon if needed so it doesn't show.
You can now apply the animal shape on the bottom right hand corner of the frame with pop up dots.
You will also use pop up dots to apply the letter stickers even though they are adhesive just to give it the added deminson to the name title across the top.
Apply the larger buttons using pop up dots and the smaller ones using mini glue dots.
Print or develop a photo in 5x7 frame to insert and you have a nice frame for yourself or as a gift.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That frame is absolutely adorable Sherri! And your instructions are clear as anything....great job! I need to make one of those for my grand-dog, Toby!!
Karen

FrancineB said...

How very cute, Sherri! Yep, I think the instructions are very clear and easy to follow. Great job.

Ann Marie said...

Neat idea to make a frame on a frame with ribbon! cool!

TammyB said...

I like how you used the ribbon =) Looks great and the directions are pretty clear as well.

Denise said...

that is adorable! So gald I found your blog... I knew you had one.. just hadn't looked enough on the about siggy. And BTW: your son has grown like a whole head of you since this summer.. I swear he has!
great instructions.. may have to use this in a class in the store... can i??

Anonymous said...

This is toooooooo cute!! I wonder if I could make one? It is beautiful!